How to Create Sample Freelance Writing as New Freelance Writer
Your aspirations are dashed by two uncomplicated but daunting words: “sample freelance writing,” just as you were beginning to believe you had finally discovered your dream job.
You are aware that the position is ideal for you. It seems almost as if you were born for it. And if you simply manage to land this job, your literary career will soar to the heights you’ve only ever imagined!
You, however, lack any writing samples. And to make matters worse, you have no idea how to go about making one. Let’s take action in response to it, shall we?
You can learn how to create the ideal writing sample by following this instruction. You’ll have all you need to secure your ideal job once you’ve completed reading.
We’ll begin with the fundamentals.
read also: 10 Reasons Why Freelance SEO Matters
What is a sample freelance writing?
A document that shows a client that you can write is known as a freelance writing sample. A writing sample may be in the form of blog posts, emails, whitepapers, short tales, or landing pages, depending on the type of writing services you specialize in.
If you’re new to freelance writing, you need to have a writing sample. Before they ask you to start writing for them, prospective clients want to know that you’re worth hiring (and spending their marketing budget on).
How to Create a Perfect Freelance Writing Sample
A strong writing sample will satisfy each of the demands listed above. Nonetheless, the ideal writing sample would be one that the hiring manager would want to publish.
A shift in perspective is necessary to produce a flawless writing sample. Avoid thinking of yourself as a candidate preparing a writing sample. Assume you already have the position and are working on a project that has been given to you.
To do this, you must use a calculated method to produce a writing sample that is ideal for them and their target audience.
Let’s get started.
read also: 10 Free Cover Letter Samples for Upwork & Proposal Template 2022
1. Create a PDF document
I advise drafting your example essay in Google Docs and downloading it as a PDF if you want to locate clients as soon as feasible. For a number of reasons, I advise going the extra mile to produce a downloadable PDF.
First of all, clients care about presentation, therefore it appears nicer than delivering a link to a Google doc. But, it also makes sure they can’t alter or amend your sample in any way. The only drawback to this strategy is that your sample won’t be made available online. This will help you get work, but you might have to take a few lower-paying positions until you gain more experience.
2. Publish your samples on your blog
Why not write and post articles on your own blog if you want to have published samples to show clients? It can only benefit you as a freelance writer to have a blog where you routinely post content.
One benefit is that it provides you with more chances to practise writing. With time, this will enable you to write more quickly and proficiently.
Nevertheless, what’s more crucial is that having a blog allows you a space to produce your own content at your own pace. You are free to write about whatever topics interest you. Also, writing and marketing your blog pieces on a regular basis will help you develop your own following. Because of this, some of the most successful independent writers frequently create and submit blog entries.
3. Publish articles on Medium
Starting to write articles on Medium is another choice. You may share your writings with a built-in audience on Medium, an online publishing platform.
You will select a category and use tags when you post an item, just like you would on your blog. Readers can commend your content and make comments when they locate it.
Also, they have the choice to subscribe to you on Medium, where your articles will appear in their newsfeed. Also, on occasion, Medium publications may want to share your piece, which can help you reach a wider audience. Anybody wishing to publish their content and expand their readership should consider using Medium.
The main drawback, though, is that you won’t be able to take advantage of the SEO advantages that comingling content on your website would provide.
4. Guest post for other blogs/websites
A wonderful technique to not only produce some samples but also spread the word about you is by guest posting on other websites. Making relationships by guest posting for others may open up opportunities for you to write for pay in the future.
Yet, if you already understand your niche, guest posting will be most helpful. If you don’t, you might get some samples that aren’t particularly helpful to you.
Guest blogging also requires time. It takes time to get in touch with several blog owners, and it will take time for them to respond, if they do. You have no influence over when they publish your piece, even if they do agree to publish it.
Despite all of this, guest posting might still be a fantastic choice for you. The following considerations should be made if you choose to take this course:
- Make sure you read and abide by all of the requirements for posting as a guest on that website.
- When contacting somebody about guest writing, be considerate. Always address the recipient by their first name in emails, be courteous, and keep them short.
- Follow up after sending a guest writing request a few weeks later.
How to create your first sample for freelance writing clients
A sample of your freelance writing should be a representation of your best work, not just something you threw up in 30 minutes and called decent. It must appear to be something that a customer would pay you to write for them.
Using a template is the quickest method to get started if you’re new to generating internet material.
A template is useful since it enables you to determine the fundamental organization of the piece. You simply have to fill in the details and make it sound appealing from there. You should spend some time perusing other people’s blog postings to see how they organize and format their writing. Instead of copying them, you should learn what goes into creating a quality article.
But to get you going, here is a brief summary of what you ought to write about in each blog entry:
- Select your specialization: Choose the topic you wish to concentrate on or your area of expertise. This will enable you to produce writing samples that demonstrate your expertise in a certain field.
- Research: To better comprehend the topic, do extensive study on the area you’ve picked. This will assist you in choosing pertinent subjects for your writing sample.
- Choose a topic: Choose a topic for your writing sample after you’ve done your research on it. Write about a subject that addresses the needs of your prospective customers.
- Create an outline: Before you begin writing, organize your thoughts and information into an outline. By doing this, you can make sure that you’re writing is coherent and well-organized.
- Write a draft: Write your sample using your outline as a reference. Be sure to write in a manner and with a tone that are appropriate for your niche..
- Edit and proofread: Check your writing for grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes after you’ve finished your initial draught. Make sure your writing is precise, succinct, and easy to read.
- Format: Prepare your writing sample properly, adhering to any instructions or specifications given by your potential clients. Use a portfolio: After you’ve created your first writing sample, add it to your portfolio. Your portfolio should showcase your best work and highlight your skills and expertise.
read also: How to Get Your Profile Approved on Upwork
You can start a successful freelance writing job even if you have no prior experience writing for pay.The simplest method to get beyond this obstacle is to make your own samples that you can distribute to potential customers.
We advise picking one of the tactics we discussed in this post and committing fully to it. For instance, if you want to concentrate on your blog, make a commitment to always posting one blog article per week.
Maintain your blog for at least six months, even if it doesn’t seem to be gaining any traction. Your chances of success will be increased by concentrating all of your efforts in one place. Download the Freelance Writer’s Starting Guide if you want additional details on how to launch your freelance writing company.